So here is Little S’s Birthday cake from this year – she loves the TV program “Strictly Come Dancing” and really wanted that as the theme for her party. We thought about it for ages and even researched possibilities with Big S and her friends acting as the ‘Judges’. In the end though we thought a bunch of 6/7 year olds wouldn’t take too kindly to having their dancing judged. So the theme had to put to one side, and we went for a more traditional party with games and craft activities.
But the cake retained the theme! With glitter, mirror ball, shoes, hopefully it looked the part. Happy Birthday Little S, I hope you enjoyed your party and loved the cake – it didn’t hang around long :-)
Chocolate Birthday Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes one cake
- 330g self-raising flour
- 5 tbsps cocoa powder
- 220g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 290ml oat milk
- 2 tbsps soya yogurt
- 100g dairy-free spread, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 5
- Grease and line a deep cake tin
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt
- Stir in the sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, melted dairy-free spread, soya yogurt and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix gently until well combined.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife comes out clean
- Cool in the cake tin.
- Cut in half and fill with, and ice the top with velvety white buttercream
- Decorate as desired.