Our holiday in the South of France certainly got the taste buds tingling with sunny Mediterranean flavours; think tomatoes, gorgeous ripe fruit, flowers, wild herbs and fat olives. Tastes which delight the palate and tempt the eyes. Tapenade is a great flavour hit, but is often seasoned with anchovy making it unsuitable for veggies like myself. This version carries all the requisite punch, swapping salty anchovies for capers, mustard and balsamic vinegar.
My mini-blender seems to have given up the ghost, so the resulting paste is chunkier than I hoped it would be, still tastes great though!
Fish-free Tapenade (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 small bowlful
- 150g black olives, pitted, rinsed and drained
- 1 dessert spoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsps good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Blitz the olives in a blender/food processor
- Add the other ingredients and pulse until well combined
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Keep refrigerated until needed.