Early summer in England is all about the strawberries and what goes better with strawberries than scones? Here’s a simple variation on a scone recipe. Adding strawberries gives the scones a real summery vibe, and makes me think of sitting on immaculate English lawns. They’re a big craggy and rustic – as scones should be, in my opinion – but packed full of flavour! Anyone for tennis?
Serve with whipped dairy-free cream and strawberry jam for the fully authentic experience.
Strawberry Scones (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 450g plain flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 75g dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 70g caster brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300ml oat milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries, plus slices for the top
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 6
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- With your fingertips, gently rub in the dairy-free spread until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the oat milk and vanilla essence.
- Bring together to a soft, sticky dough.
- Carefully add the strawberries, trying not to crush them too much.
- Turn onto a floured surface and very gently bring together to a soft, smooth dough.
- Pat out with your fingers until 3 cm thick.
- Cut out with a 6cm cookie cutter (or whatever size you choose)
- Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet.
- Place one strawberry slice on the top of each scone
- Brush the tops with oat milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top.
- Cool on a wire rack.