Anzac biscuits for Anzac Day! These are an antipodean staple – sent to the troops serving in the Anzac forces during the war because they were tasty, calorific and durable. I’d equate them to a coconutty flapjack cookie, perfect as a knobbly addition to the biscuit tin!
Anzac Biscuits (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 2 tbsps golden syrup
- 2 tbsps water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
- Grease 2 cookie sheets
- Mix together the flour, oats, coconut, sugar and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt together the dairy-free spread, golden syrup and boiling water. Bring to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the bicarb.
- Immediately pour into the dry ingredients and mix to form a soft dough.
- Place ping pong ball sized balls of dough on the cookie sheets (spread well apart) and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until starting to turn golden
- Cool briefly on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack.