Hummus… lovely stuff but only one of the girls can have it, and I’ve never managed to make a great tahini free version. Once the tahini is left out, the whole essence of a good hummus seems to be missing. This cannellini bean version is a pretty good replacement with no sesame in sight – the beans gives a creaminess that is lifted out of blandness by the punchy rosemary, garlic and sharp lemon. In fact, it was hard to stop dipping into it. Perfect served with homemade pittas or breadsticks.
Cannellini Bean and Rosemary Hummus (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 small bowlful
- 1 tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whizz up all the ingredients in a food processor, adding a little more oil or water if it’s too thick.
- Taste and add more lemon, garlic, salt or rosemary to taste.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil.