The sunshine in the last couple of days has had my thought turning to salads, and this one is a particular favourite. Everywhere in France you can buy tubs of ‘Salade de Carottes Râpées‘ and we have a particular fondness for it. For some reason, it’s not something you come across in the UK – it seems that the Brits are keener on creamy mayo drowned salads instead.
This is my take on the French classic! My carrots seemed to taste of nothing so I added 2 tsps of sugar to bring out the flavour – you may want to reduce this if your carrots taste lovely anyway.
Carrot and Parsley Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, peanut-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 large bowlful
- 4-5 large carrots, grated
- 1 large handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 2 tsps caster sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps sunflower oil
- pepper to taste
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, mustard and pepper. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Pour over the grated carrots and stir well.
- Sprinkle over the parsley and stir to combine. Chill until needed.